Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Saints

Yes, I'll follow the tracks that the saints have trod
By the grace of God
I'll walk in the rain of His mercy
Let it soak me down to the bone
And I'll splash in its puddles
And dance in its streams as I go
And, Lord, I'll walk in the rain of Your mercy
All the way home

- from "All the Way Home" by Andrew Peterson
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If there was one thing I could ask some the Saints like Thomas a Kempis, Francis of Assisi, Thomas Aquinas, Brother Lawrence, and others it would be" "How does your devotion persevere?" Now obviously the Scriptures and even these Saints give us an idea and principles to follow. But to sit with them and talk to them about their day to day lives would be different I would imagine. It would be a priceless conversation.

I struggle with my devotion daily. I do not expect to be perfect, but I do expect to become closer to God everyday. Sometimes it does not work, and I know that is fine. We all have bad days; my frustration is not with my sin but with my devotion. I think God is more concerned with my devotion than my sin as well; they are very closely related mind you. The Andrew Peterson lyrics above show it clearly: it is by His grace and mercy that I am able to follow the path that the saint's have trod.

What would you ask the saints?

2 comments:

Grace said...

i think i would ask them if they would want to be remembered as saints; if they would want their teachings to become the standards of the church instead of the Bible.

Philip said...

That's a good one. I'm sure they weren't too concerned with their legacy.

 
Copyright 2009 Philip Kenney. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Wordpress Themes | Free Icons | wordpress theme
Wordpress Themes. Blogger Templates by Blogger Templates and Blogger Templates