Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Returning to the Booth

I am about to embark on a journey that I have not taken in 6 years. Sunday is the first day of me recording songs I have written. These songs are worship songs, so in a sense, I feel like they are not for me but for the church. The goal in writing worship music is to give the church a song that reflects their faith and soul. These songs are not about my expression, although I do think I am expressing quite a lot. These songs are not for the church's expression. These songs are for a body of believers to come together and sing in unity to and about the One for whom they are gathered.

This is where my approach to this little collection of songs is different. Many times they are plural ("we" and not "I"), and talk about God. Sometimes they are plural and talk to God. Savannah calls my songs "creed-like", and I have heard others agree. These songs are not individualistic because what makes church unique is that its a multitude joining together. These songs, in many ways, are meant to be liturgical - to bring the church together under the unifying attribute of the Gospel. There are times, even in the gathering of believers, to sing one-on-one to God. For me, I see the "market" of worship songs flooded with individualism and I wanted to bring community back into the church gathering. I am not saying individualism is wrong; it is equally needed. I just feel like the scales need to be balanced again, especially in the church.

I have not posted in a while because I have been busy. Out of town, working on songs, finishing up school arrangements, and many more things. I want to bring others into this journey this time around. I will be posting pictures, daily accounts, and hopefully video. I'll be posting lyrics as well to help people have some expectations of what this little project will be. Follow me on twitter, and you'll get up-to-date news. This is not going to be fancy, just simple explanations and accounts of what is happening. I know I am not hugely popular person, and I hope I never will be through this because that is not what this is about. I hope people just enjoy my songs, and want to listen to them because they help them see and commune with God. But whoever wishes to be "in" on this thing is more than welcome too.

Prayers are warranted throughout this whole process.

Cheers!

1 comments:

Andy Rogers said...

Finding the right balance between Music with individualism, Music for unity, and worship music, can be tricky. What matters most is how the gospel is spread and heard by the multitude. God bless.

 
Copyright 2009 Philip Kenney. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Wordpress Themes | Free Icons | wordpress theme
Wordpress Themes. Blogger Templates by Blogger Templates and Blogger Templates